Tuesday, May 11, 2010

One Mile of Meditation

I haven't felt the wind beneath my feet since my brutal 10k race. (You know, the one where I felt like I was going to die.) Since the race I've been doing other things like planning a vacation, going on said vacation, eating lots of ice cream on said vacation, and drinking beer while sitting on my rear by the pool on vacation. Important stuff, you know?

Today I said I was going to run. I didn't want to run. So, I sat on the couch feeling guilty. Then I got up, put on my gear, and went to hit the trail (sounds fancy, but it's just an asphalt loop in our neighborhood) for a quick three miles. First thing you should know is that quick and I don't get along. I ran one mile semi-fast (for me) and then decided I had a bad side stitch and would try again tomorrow for the other two miles. My side stitches come when I don't drink enough water. But, I am not drinking enough water because I've been too busy drowning myself in Diet Coke since falling off the wagon. Hard times.

I did just read an interesting article in my Runner's World magazine about meditative running. The article, Transcendental Steps, was very interesting and seems hippy enough to qualify as something I would try. I did try today, I tried to listen to the sound of my breath (it was gasping). I did try to feel the wind against my skin (it felt nice and cool). But, at the end of my tiny one mile, I still had a side stitch that kept me from entering my meditative state. The author claims it can take several months to reach "mindfulness" during a run. Meditating while running sounds amazing, no? I think this will be my new endeavor. I've always been intrigued by those Buddhists.

- S

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Back when I did other things besides sit on my sofa, I loved meditating. Once you get into it, it really will work for you. Just takes practice.... kind of like running, right?

Laura said...

I've had a few meditative runs, but only a few and only when I have been in the most awesome shape ever. Granted most of my running when I was in good shape was with friends and so there was a lot more talking than meditating. Good luck.