Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I Get Knocked Down, But I Get Up Again


We meet again.

Most of you know about my life-long (I'm not dramatic at all) battle with Diet Coke. You'll remember that in 2008 I decided to give up the liquid gold in search of a chemical-free life. I did GOOD, really good, until February of this year. I started to crack...then I broke. I had dreams of running happily through a field of flowers right towards the glowing, shiny, silver can....the can of life, the can of glory, the can of goodness.

I mentioned my thoughts to my friend Nicole, she assured me it would taste like crap. I mentioned my weak thoughts to Nick, he didn't approve. In order to not hear him nag me about my brain falling out we made a negotiation of sorts (of which I still owe quite heavily). After the handshake it was time. I bravely walked into a neighborhood CVS and purchased a bottle of Diet Coke.

I came back to the car giggly and smiling. Nick shook his head, but because of said agreement, he couldn't say a thing. I opened the lid, heard the fizz and prepared myself because this was supposed to taste NASTY! It didn't. It went down well and it went down fast. I was a happy woman.

The following couple of weeks I drank it as much as I could. I even started going back to Sonic again! (I will tell you that the photos on the menu at Sonic are enough to make this vegetarian hurl).

Then a friend at work told me about a book called Skinny Bitch. Don't let the name freak you out, it's actually a funny book! The main purpose of the book is to raise awareness about the food we consume. They talk heavily about vegetarian/vegan ways of living...I found it quite enjoyable. What I wasn't expecting was the chapter about chemical sweetners. Ugh! Education and logic. Reading the information regarding aspartame (the same information I read years ago that made me quit) just made me sick.

I always say if you know better, do better. I know better.

So, here we are. Round 2.

Wish me luck.

- S


1 comment:

Unknown said...

You won't need luck. You'll do what's best for you. And even if the wagon gets wobbly, you're doing much better than not trying at all!! Go Steph!!