Going strong on day 26 of no french fries...but we had a close call last night.
We decided to grab dinner out after work so, against better judgement, we headed to Red Robin. Yes, they do have the best steak fries anyone could ask for. But...they are kid-friendly, the menu is great and they make a mean Whiskey River Chicken BBQ Wrap. (For the Canadians reading...BBQ is the barbecue sauce...they didn't just cook it on the barbecue) ;) The meal comes with a bottomless supply of steak fries, yes that is right, bottomless.
We enter the building and instantly the aroma of salty, delicious fries hits me like a freight train. It has been so long. My mouth started watering. I was quickly jolted back to real life when Mason asked for a balloon...so I grabbed him one and we were on our way to our seats.
The waitress came and I asked what I could substitute for fries...veggies, salad, melon and something else less desirable that I can't remember at the moment. So..I asked for a salad...ranch dressing on the side. I could do this...there wouldn't even be fries on the table for me to eat...Mason didn't have any with his order neither did Nick. I was safe.
We waited and waited and waited. Then the cute, perky waitress comes out...just as polite as can be..and says "Sorry it's taking so long, would you guys like a basket of fries on the house?" NO!!
WE DO NOT WANT A BASKET OF YOUR DELICIOUS FRIES. "No thank you," I replied.
Safe again.
Our orders finally came and they all looked tasty...except they brought me the Whiskey River BBQ sandwich and not the wrap. So, they sent it back but left me my side salad to nibble on until my wrap came. Oh...it was yummy....tasted just like fries that is if fries are cold and void of deliciousness. Either way I nibbled on my rabbit food, tried to pretend that it was a bowl of fries and laughed about it with Nick.
She brought back my wrap...and guess what was on the plate...yes it was fries. The yummy deliciousness attacked my senses and I almost fell off the wagon several times. Nick, the wonderful husband that he is, talked me back to my senses no less that eight times. But I couldn't take it...not only were they on the table, they were mere inches from my fingers.
I got a napkin, moved my wrap to the napkin and had Nick take the basket away. I felt relieved, proud, excited that I avoided temptation. How easy it would have been to jump off the wagon head first and dive into my bottomless basket of fries.
Then I look up at Nick (who made the no-fry vow with me) and he's longingly looking over at the basket of fries. He says "That one right there (while pointing) looks really good." He was about to fall off the wagon too.
We covered up the fries with Mason's free coloring sheet, finished our meal and left...FRENCH FRY FREE!!!!!
I'm so proud.
Steph
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
I'm was so proud because I thought I was right there with you on doing so great on the no-fry thing. Then it occured to me that I had sweet potato fries last night with my dinner. I'd like to think they were baked because they were void of oil and grease, but I cannot say that for sure. So I humbly hand my head in shame. I am not worthy!
Post a Comment