Thursday, December 30, 2010

When Will I Be A Runner?

The other day a few fellow runners and I were discussing whether or not we considered ourselves to be runners.

I run, but I don't consider myself a "runner." I would say someone who has completed a half marathon is a runner, but I've completed the distance and I don't consider myself a runner. I would say someone who runs a more than twice a week is a runner, but I run twice (if not more) and I don't consider myself a runner. I talked to Nick about it and he feels the same way. He runs, but he's not a runner. It should be noted that he considers (and I agree) himself to be an athlete.

If I were a runner then I would:
- Run more often
- Run faster
- Run longer
- Have cuter winter running gear
- Care about my split time
- Run hills
- Do fartleks (I can't even say it without laughing)
- Xtrain
- Run mile repeats

Some people say "If you run then you're a runner." That's all fine and dandy. And I do believe that to be true about other people...just not me. I'm on a mission and if I were already a runner I'd be bored. Keeping myself as someone who just runs gives me more to look forward to.

When I start doing fartleks I'll come back and post that I'm a runner.

- S

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I believe you're the one that told me I was a serious runner! How can I be but you aren't? Just saying....

And goodness gracious, I know what those terms mean. I think that just means I read about runners. HA!