Wait, did they said "tired, fatigued and CRANKY"? Oh yeah, that was me. *raises hand*
Nick and I are training for the Donald's Half Marathon (Walt Disney World, January 2011) and our training has long runs scheduled every other weekend. We increase our mileage by 1.5 miles each long run.
Up until today, our training runs have been great. We've been getting out early in the morning and knocking them out by 8:00 AM or so. We've been running laps around the neighborhood and stopping every mile for water and/or snacks. Nick keeps telling me that our neighborhood is a crutch for me. I know at the end of each mile I can go home if I want. :) (But seriously, who wouldn't love that option!?)
Today we were scheduled for 9.5 miles. It just so happens that the trail around Lake Hefner (OKC) is 9.3 miles. So today I agreed to venture from my norm and we headed out to the lake. Before heading out we drank plenty of water, I ate half of a granola bar (I know, I know...), and Nick had two packets of oatmeal.
The run started good, it was pretty and the temperature was nice. It's always inspiring to see so many fellow exercisers up and at 'em so early in the morning. The longer the run got, the more upset my body was that its only fuel was half of a granola bar. About mile seven I started to struggle quite a bit. At mile eight I hit what they call the wall, I bonked. I fell apart. I couldn't breathe. I couldn't force my legs to move, I couldn't think positive thoughts, I was a big ball of goo somehow slowly propelling myself forward (no help from the Oklahoma wind). Meanwhile, Mr. Two-Bowls-of-Oatmeal was running happily along beside me.
I learned an important lesson today. If I'm going to run long distances (at least long to me) then I need to properly fuel beforehand. It's just so hard to eat so soon after rolling out of bed. I can't bonk anymore...maybe I need these?
I do know in January, after I run with Mickey...

...I'll partake in MANY Mickey waffles post race.
-S



1 comment:
That is no fun at all! If you can eat while you run, try Honey Stingers. They are organic, taste good and sell them at Academy. They can help you through those crazy times when you just need a little boost.
It sounds like you guys are doing great with your training. Nice job!!
Post a Comment