Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Daytime TV is Offensive to Women

I'm back at work today but not after spending two grueling days being forced to watch daytime TV. Daytime TV is for the birds.

What do advertisers think stay-at-home-moms are?? A bunch of knuckleheads?? I can't tell you how many commercials I saw for green tea nail polish and bathroom cleaners...and if it wasn't those two then it was a commercial about the newest miracle paper towel or a hair dye that promises to rid the gray.

I hereby swear off of daytime TV as I think it's offensive to women.

Just because you've chosen to stay at home with your kiddos doesn't make you ditzy....doesn't make you excited about cleaning the bathrooms and it most certainly does not make your brain useless. I don't stay at home, not sure if I could even pull it off and keep my sanity. However, I have lots of friends that stay home with their kiddos. Most, if not all, of them have college degrees and have forfeited a promising career in order to offer their kid(s) what they feel is the best care.

These women are smart, educated and able to think on their own. Most come from a home where responsibilities are shared and they are not looked upon as merely the 'woman of the house' who only watches the rugrats, folds laundry and has a hot dinner on the table at 5:00.

Stay-at-home-moms deserve more than nail polish commercials. They deserve more than a reality TV show about what they should or shouldn't wear and they deserve more than trashy Hollywood tabloid shows.

Come on TV producers of America...get it together! How about shows that matter, shows that speak to the intelligence of women today??

Steph

No comments: