My baby is almost a first grader!!! WAAAAAAHHHHWAAAAHHHH. I'm not *that* sad, but it is bittersweet. I remember his first day of school. I cried like a baby and Mason didn't.
He's grown and matured so much this year, I hardly recognize him as the same little boy we dropped off at school last August. But, I do remember his sad little face when I told him he couldn't take Duck to Kindergarten. Now he doesn't think twice about Duck before heading off to school.
He's changed in other ways too. Here is a list of a few things he does now that he didn't do in August:
- He now addresses Nick as 'dude'. "Dude, where's my breakfast!?"
- He will no longer let us walk him into school. He's too cool for that.
- He wears shades and does the 'DJ' dance.
- He says "yeah, yeah, blah, blah, blah" until I give him the mom look then he says "sowwy".
- He can read really well! He motored through his reading levels this year and now reads at a first grade level.
- He prefers pre-teen shows over Disney Junior cartoons.
- He says "I have more knowledge than you guys."
- He has started earning an allowance and is understanding the concept of saving up for things.
- He plays outside with the neighborhood kids for endless hours.
- He insists on wearing a fedora.
He's really as crazy as ever and we love him.
Yesterday there was a ceremony at Mason's school for the kindergartners. I had no clue what to expect, I thought they would sing a few songs and have a little program. I'm a rookie, what can I say? They actually did sing songs, but they recognized the students with awards as well. Everyone got a certificate for completing kindergarten and for reading 25 or more books. The specials teachers (art, PE, music, library) also handed out awards to one boy and one girl in each class. Mase won two of the four specials awards! We were so proud of him!! He won the library and the art class award. WOOHOO!
We obviously think he's pretty cool and deserving of such awards. But, as it turns out, the school doesn't ask parents to nominate the award recipients. Mase earned them all on his own! That makes me feel so proud of him. He went to the library day after day and used his manners and was excited about reading. He went to art class day after day and was enthusiastic about art. We had no hand in that, it was his choice and he chose right. I love him!
He also had wonderful guidance this year from his teacher, Mrs. Crain. She was everything we could have asked for in a Kindergarten teacher. She was encouraging, caring and taught him so much. I absolutely love our school district!
Mase is a friendly guy, but I remember being so worried about him making friends at his new school. As it turns out, I worried for no reason. He fit right in and has had tons of fun with his new pals. 

We're all ready for summer break. Mase will be hanging with a few of his new buddies and they have lots of fun stuff planned. I'm sure by the end of the summer I won't recognize him as the same kid he is today. First grade will be fun and none of us will be rookies anymore.
Next stop...Disney World.
- S





No comments:
Post a Comment