This morning we woke up ready to tackle the day. Nick was signed up for his first full marathon and I was doing another half with my friend, Kiley - it was her first half marathon. It was 56 when we woke up with a 30% chance of rain. We dressed appropriately. Nick in shorts and a dry-fit shirt, me in tights and a thin long-sleeved dry-fit shirt. As we were driving downtown we saw lots of lightning in the distance. The radar was not looking so good.

The rain started before we got there and never let up. We threw on a couple ponchos and hoped for the best. The race start time was delayed by 30 minutes so we hung out in an empty parking garage and waited.


The rain started before we got there and never let up. We threw on a couple ponchos and hoped for the best. The race start time was delayed by 30 minutes so we hung out in an empty parking garage and waited.


Nick about to start his first full marathon!

Starting line.


The weather conditions only got worse as the day progressed. By the end of the race the wind chill was 39 degrees, everyone was soaking wet and being pelted by hail. Not exactly the best conditions. Runners had dropped out due to the conditions, someone apparently got hypothermia and others took shelter from the weather in a local church. It was a tough race. But, we did it! Nick finished his first full marathon! I was worried about him because he was injured and it took a little longer than he predicted. As he crossed I said "Are you OK?", he said "That's the worst thing I've ever done in my life." Here he is about to cross:

Even if it was the worst race for him, I'm awfully proud of how mentally and physically tough he was today. Not everyone completes a marathon, he rocks. A race to remember was three-fold for us. A race to literally remember those affected by April 19th, a race with the worst weather conditions we've ever run in and Nick's first full marathon. We are both very happy to be home, in dry clothes and warm now. Sometimes it's the little things.
Kiley and I start our full marathon training later this year. We're hoping to attack the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa in November. I do know that we'll be watching the weather and weighing our options beforehand.
- S



No comments:
Post a Comment