Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What I Really Want

You know what I really want? To be a hippie. All signs point to yes. At least I think so.

I often wonder if I'm subconsciously having a struggle between my following my inner desires and living, what most people would consider to be, a normal life. I go through my day-to-day activities like most Americans. I like high heels and makeup. I enjoy big screen TVs, iPhones and Kindles. But, deep down I love earthy things more.

I like natural cleaners and loved using cloth diapers. I like the fact that we use cloth napkins and haven't bought paper towels in more than four years. I like being vegetarian and growing veggies in my own garden. I like nature walks, yoga, camping and living with the earth, whatever that means. Deep down, I might be a hippie. Right?

Nick and I just read Born to Run, a fantastic book about barefoot running. This is just the kind of hippie thing I need (and love). And, frankly, it's been a year since I made any major changes to my life, so it's about time I take on a new challenge. Yesterday I ran one mile...barefoot. I was scared! I was nervous! It felt AWESOME! Today my calves hurt so much and I can barely walk. I want to be a natural runner because, like I mentioned earlier, earthy things make me happy. What's more earthy than a barefoot-running vegetarian? Never mind my fashionable, chunky glasses and hot pink running shorts.

I'm OK with being a natural girl as long as the title comes along with cute hair, makeup, my iPhone, my Kindle and yearly trips to Walt Disney World.


- S

No comments: