
I've decided to take on a challenge...a hard challenge, but an interesting one nonetheless.
You see, I am my father's daughter. As much as I try to steer myself in a more healthy direction, my hand still goes back to the yummy goodness that is a french fry. I must blame my dad for the addiction as I'm sure he passed the I-love-fries gene on to me.
He can probably blame his mother who, when I was younger, always had shoestring potatoes to munch on. Now that I'm older I still go to her house wishing that they will be there...but they aren't. At Christmas this year my Dad actually brought up the topic of the shoestring potatoes...that's how I know that I am my father's daughter (well that and my eyebrows).
I'm actually a very, very picky fry eater (another sign of addiction). I cast away fries that don't make the cut. I like my fries to be skinny, crunchy and salty. I don't like the just-barely-cooked fries or the limp fries or the cooked-too-long fries. I also will not eat a fry that has any type of discoloring.
He can probably blame his mother who, when I was younger, always had shoestring potatoes to munch on. Now that I'm older I still go to her house wishing that they will be there...but they aren't. At Christmas this year my Dad actually brought up the topic of the shoestring potatoes...that's how I know that I am my father's daughter (well that and my eyebrows).
I'm actually a very, very picky fry eater (another sign of addiction). I cast away fries that don't make the cut. I like my fries to be skinny, crunchy and salty. I don't like the just-barely-cooked fries or the limp fries or the cooked-too-long fries. I also will not eat a fry that has any type of discoloring.
Fries, though delicious, are certainly not healthy and Nick and I have made a "Eat Great in '08" goal for ourselves...so I have to ask myself if fries will really help me achieve our goal. I normally only order fries at a fast food joint and only then because it's easier to order a combo than to search the menu for the sandwich I want. Fast food has made me lazy.
I needed some more ammunition to convince myself that I did indeed not need fries. I needed a pro/con list.
Pros of ordering fries:
- Tasty
- Easier to order a combo than a single sandwich
- Tasty
- Tasty
Cons of ordering fries:
- Very unhealthy
- More food than I really need or will eat
- Costs more than just a sandwich alone
- The packaging adds more trash to the landfill
- Lots of useless calories
I needed some more ammunition to convince myself that I did indeed not need fries. I needed a pro/con list.
Pros of ordering fries:
- Tasty
- Easier to order a combo than a single sandwich
- Tasty
- Tasty
Cons of ordering fries:
- Very unhealthy
- More food than I really need or will eat
- Costs more than just a sandwich alone
- The packaging adds more trash to the landfill
- Lots of useless calories
It's pretty clear which list won. So, I'm going to attempt this goal and not order fast food fries in 2008. We travel a lot so cutting out fast food totally would leave me very hungry in some circumstances...so, for now, I'm just sticking with fries. I will still allow myself baked fries in the oven, but no fast food fries. I challenge you to join me in my quest!
Oh how I will miss those delicious fries that come from the rays of the golden arches...
(I have a couple more days in 2007...I better get to eating)
Steph



3 comments:
Oh my! Giving fries up for a whole year?!?! Not sure I can do *that*! BUT, I might consider giving them up for Lent. I've thought about that before but haven't done it. Hmmm... I'll have to think on this one! ;)
So do tater tots count as fries? Waffle fries? Potato wedges???? :)
Ok, since I just finished eating curly fries with my lunch, maybe I should try this too!
Post a Comment